Sunday, January 12, 2014

FW: Region IV Weekly Report for 12/12/13-1/8/14



Weekly reports generated by Region VI NSOs, 12/1213-1/8/14:

San Diego VARO:
Was on Vacation during the Christmas/New Year Holiday; however, I did keep in contact with my offices throughout the Region, continued checking timecards, Concur and VCMS, as well as responding to emails and calls.
I continue to do sign offs daily and ongoing training of new NSOs and AA in VARO SD location.   I continue to followed-up on the NODs and appeals, as well as responding to phone calls, emails, claim review, etc.  Have responded to calls made to National regarding various issues from veterans both belonging to other organizations as well as MOPH, and contact our NSOs regarding follow-up, as well as veterans' wanting information.
I am reviewing offices that need Evaluations and Site Visits completed and will be making plans for travel to these areas in the near future.
Am trying to play catch up on some items from when I was out of the office.  Gathering information from my regional offices on wish lists as well as annual training request.
Eddie Kimes, NSO - Las Vegas:
Checked VCMS and SHARE for claim statuses and awards. Found award letters in Virtual VA to input for Monthly Report.
Filed new service connected claims and non-service pension.
I made contacts with Reno management to address veteran�s NOD (not posted in VA system) that was submitted back in August. Got positive results.
Went to Vet Center to meet veteran to file service connected claim, made appointment, answered general questions and veteran consultation purposes.
Peruse veterans� c-files for 646 completion.  Sent VA forms and other information in mail to a couple of veterans requesting information.  Assisted veteran with paperwork supporting claim and with service medical records that were obtained from RMC and compared what STR�s VA processed through VBMS.
Continue with general office duties, making folders, making/returning calls, emails, filing, etc.
Joseph Phillips, NSO - VAMC Long Beach, CA:
A HUD VASH Social Worker that I work with on homeless cases requested that I give an orientation on what NSO�s do for a Social Work Intern.  Orientation is scheduled for Monday, December 30th.  I scheduled two 7 AM appointments to accommodate Veteran�s schedule.    I continue seeing Vets about a myriad of veteran�s services.  I inputted award letters into VCMS and updated diary entries. 
Assisted Veteran with application to State Veterans Home. -
I met with a VAMC Long Beach HUD VASH social worker and her intern this week.  We discussed the role of the MOPH in assisting homeless veterans.  In the past an emphasis for homeless vets with alcohol and drug problems was treatment.  That has now changed to getting them off the streets first. I give a priority to homeless vets by asking them where they slept the night before and when did they eat last.  I can always get them a meal through Volunteer Services and point them in the direction to Villages of Cabrillo (US Vets Homeless Shelter in Long Beach).   HUD VASH case Managers spend a lot of time in the field so they asked if the VSO�s here in Long Beach can give the vets a screening form which can be forwarded (confidentially) to HUD VASH here in the hospital.
Tony DeVore, NSO - VARO San Diego, CA:
A lot of phone calls and follow-ups were done this past week.  Input of Award Letters and Rating Decision, had a hearing on 12/17/13.   Met with veterans regarding questions and concerns about pending claims and documentation received from the VA.
Meet with new clients and filed disability claims, entered Award Letters and Rating Decisions. Returned phone calls to veterans who had called for status of their claims.  Exchanged emails with veterans that had submitted request/questions regarding veteran benefits.
Very busy start to the new year.  Several appointments with veterans have taken place along with new claims filed with the VA.   Prepared for two upcoming hearings along with entering in Award Letters and preparing for VCMS conference call that will take place on 01/10/14 @ 1pm EST.
Arthur Harris, NSO - VARO Oakland, CA:
I have three appointments with veterans one was the initial appointment and the two others were for appeals.  The amount of phone call have been low due to holidays should pick up at beginning of the year.  No walk ins and updated VCMS on a daily basis, received an approved appeal for a veteran,  in which we got the veteran an earlier effective date of March 2008, on his PTSD to include a retro of 35,484.00.
Updating VCMS and purging the files have being the primary work this week.
Tennell Brady, NSO - VARO Los Angeles, CA:
Met with many veterans, responded to calls and submitted claims to the VA.   Continued with mentoring new employees.  Participated in a video Travel Board hearing.  Intervened in minor dispute with veteran.   Ventured to Wadsworth Hospital to view new office furnishings. 
Ron Quinata, NSO - Guam:
Assisted several veterans/dependents, including DIC claims, award letters, recurring claims and new POAs.  Attended VSO Video Conference with the Honolulu VSM at the VBA Guam Office. Discussed issues on claims down to 334 day old claims as of 01/2013 with the 275 day old claims rated by 03/2014.  Added new transfers.  Continued administrative work in the office i.e., updating VCMS, following on letters received, at least many telephone calls, email responses.
Assisted veterans/dependents and continued administrative work in the office i.e., updating VCMS, following up on letters received, received several telephone calls, emailed several responses.
Jay Parker, NSO - VARO Phoenix:
Our monthly meeting with the VA took place today after 3 months of cancellations.  We discussed a number of things but most importantly we discussed FDC claims.  We learned today they haven�t been given priority.  We were led to believe they would but they have been doing claims from on or before Jan 1 this year.  They are now going to dedicate a team to FDC.
I visited the hospital twice.  I met with the lead DR of the TBI clinic and the Audiologist to discuss issue�s the audiologist my want to look for in their exam.  Such as physical damage and refer the vet to an ENT DR.
Retro benefits fairly small 9000- 15000.  One retro of $31,074.00.  Lots of phone time.
This is a short week due to PTO.
We have had more discussions on FDC claims. In a meeting with the service center manager and some coaches we were told that FDC claims will be given top priority again. The D1BC Team was to be disbanded and spread out across the building. Instead they are keeping the team whole and directing them to do all FDC claims.  If they stay with this plan it will bring completion of FDC�s to warp speed.
General office duties, phones, data entry, purging, Lisa is doing a great job of clearing out old medical records.
Cheryl Paden, NSO - VAMC Tucson:
I submitted claims and have spoken to Jay several times for assistance with a veteran's pending claim, which were above my level allowed.

Returned messages and I have been getting referrals from Veterans and medical staff at SAVAHCS. I spent several hours at the Hospital making contacts in Bldg 90 anf Bldg 58.

I gave paperwork/homework to Veterans so I can submit FDC claims for them.

I have reviewed decision letters, worked on filing and general office duties.

I missed the VSO meeting because I was ill.   I did speak with Debra Brookshire on the phone and we are having an inspection the first week of Jan.

I submitted claims and I spoke with Lisa a few times to assist her, Jay was out of the office.
Pat and Charles from Bldg 90, the Homeless vets program came over to talk with me so they could understand what was needed to file claim.  They stated that way they could help the guys to get what was needed so they could file.   So going to the different areas in the hospital is working.

I have reviewed decision letters, worked on filing and general office duties.  Continued other normal daily activities, filing, reviewing, and responding to emails, telephone calls I am also working on the pending claims report ,etc.  Received on retro for a veteran of $30,993.

I had an inspection this week of and all was good with this office.
Raphael Paris, NSO - VARO Honolulu:
Conducted interviews with veterans seeking help for service connection/pension compensation . Met with veterans to discuss VA award letter for increase compensation.
Attended Hawaii rainbow MOPH Chapter Meeting and Christmas luncheon, met with veterans who have claims pending to update them on status claim, also VA examinations, met with veteran who just recently was awarded the Purple Heart medal for injuries sustained in Iraq, gave veteran business card and asked him to contact this office to establish 21-22 for representation.
Received correspondence and award letters for both Honolulu and Guam, mailed out letters to Guam. Returned/receive calls from veterans asking for status of claim, also spoke to veterans in reference to VA examinations.
Continue input into VCMS of awards, claims, etc.  General office duties, including making of new files,purging. Follow-up on pending claims.
Breana King, NSO - VAMC Loma Linda:
I saw a few Veterans, submitted additional evidence for claims and did end of the year claim and appeal status updates for a few Veterans.  I continued working on my office file purging, andmaking sure all mail and documents were entered into the system and filed, general office duties.
Michael Mullen, NSO - VAMC La Jolla:
It has been a busy week again.   Answering a lot of calls, returning messages, and saw a lot clients like I did last week.  I submitted evidence for existing claims, I entered a couple of ratings, and I made a couple of visits around the hospital.   I had a lot of appointments scheduled this week for both new claims and to submit evidence for ongoing claims, because I�m headed to Boston for the Holidays tomorrow.
It has been a very busy week, I was answering calls, returning messages, I saw more clients than normal, submitted evidence, and entered many ratings.   I assisted several veterans in sending off for STR�s so we can decide if they have possible claim.  It�s almost been 3 weeks since I put in a work order with the ITT department, because my printer and fax stopped working due to a Windows 7 update the VA made over 3 weeks ago.  I have called several times and all they tell me is that I�m listed as a priority work order.   On Thursday, I was finally able to link my computer to a network printer on the other side of the hospital.  I spent several days printing out all kinds of claims and evidence.  I am still waiting on some of those veterans to come in and sign forms in order for their claims to be submitted.
It has been a very busy week, I was answering calls, returning messages, I saw a lot more clients than normal, submitted evidence, and I entered a lot of ratings as well.  It�s now been over 4 weeks since I put in a work order with the ITT department, because my printer and fax stopped working due to a Windows 7 update the VA made over 4 weeks ago.  I�m still printing on a network printer on the other side of the hospital, but the most inconvenient part is not having a fax.  Last week was probably the busiest week I�ve had  this year!
I had a lot of appointments scheduled this week, but my Monday and Tuesday appointments had to be rescheduled because the power source in my computer died over the weekend.   My computer was fixed by IT early afternoon on Tuesday and is running better than ever.   I saw a lot of clients today that I had rescheduled from the 2 days before.
Erin Hamlin, NSO - Salt Lake City:
Have been making and returning numerous phone calls, seeing numerous clients both walk-in and by appointment.  I had 2 Veteran Conferences with a RVSR to prevent reductions in Service Connection.  I continue daily to review Utah Rating Decisions, BDD/PLCP Rating Decisions, and PLCP SOCs.  I forwarded PLCP Development Letters.
I will be on PTO 12/23/2013 and 12/24/2013.  I have been making and returning numerous phone calls, seeing numerous clients both walk-in and by appointment.
Out sick 1/2/2014 and 1/3/2014.  Continue my efforts to go through my office files and get them in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment