Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fw: Region VI MOPH Weekly Report 10/30-11/06/13



Commander Small and Jim Richards:

Please see weekly reports generated by Region VI NSOs, 10/31-11/6/2013:

San Diego VARO:
Traveled to VARO Los Angeles and conducted several interviews for two NSO positions open in VARO Los Angeles office and VAMC Sepulveda and Wadsworth office.
Have hired new NSO for Sepulveda/Wadsworth; promoted AA at VARO LA to NSO and hired new AA to take his place.  All new applicants will be starting their positions on 11/18/2013.  I will be cafefully monitoring all progress and helping each of them in any way I can, to insure our veterans are properly represented.
Performed Site Visit and completed Annual Evaluations on both NSO and AA at VARO LA.
Will be traveling to Long Beach VAMC tomorrow, (11/7/13).  I will be conducting Annual Site Visit and completing annual evaluation for NSO at that location.
Continue to speak with veterans via phone that have issues and answer their questions.  Speaking to the NSO within Jurisdiction of that particular veteran and making sure all parties understand the importance of filing proper claims, following up on provisional claims, etc.  Continuing sign offs and training of new NSO and AA in VARO SD location.   Have followed-up on the NODs and appeals, as well as responding to phone calls, emails, claim review, etc.
Eddie Kimes, NSO - Las Vegas:
End of the month data entry awards for monthly report. Submitted  claim docs sent by mail and searched VCMS for tickle date indicating that claim could be resolved.  Filed two service connected claims for increase.

Met with a veteran who needed assistance obtaining medical records from RMC, and helped him receive his personal records and DD214 three weeks prior. Veteran walked in with appeal documents to fax to VBA Litigation Office. A veteran who made appointment for afternoon filed new service connected claim and POA.

Veteran whose claim is in appeals process walked in to check status.  Checked VCMS for tickle dates that indicated that claims were complete or close to completion.  I do not receive award and decision letters from Reno until 2-3 months later.  Brokered claim letters are either faxed or mailed to me from their RO sooner.  If I find that a claim has been completed, I log on to Virtual VA for details.  I found two completed claims to report.  Veteran came in with VCAA Notice Response to submit with new documents (med records) and I assisted with completing three 21-4142 forms for submittal.

Another veteran came in and I filed claim for increase of existing conditions and for new conditions and also took new POA.

Traveled to Vet Center to meet veteran and file new claim, NOD for denied claim and new POA.  Went back to office to address phone messages, return calls and other office duties.

Joseph Phillips, NSO - VAMC Long Beach, CA:
I assisted a 93 year old Vets widow in re-establishing her property tax exemption after it was dropped because she did a reverse mortgage on her home.

When the VAMC LB moved all VSO�s to our current location, I lost half of the file and storage space that I had at the previous location.  I received keys for a file cabinet in the copier room this week, which was moved to my office.  I am transferring files this week.  The VA installed Windows 7 this week, minor problems are all fixed.

I received 2013 edition of the Veterans Benefit Manual and The 38 USCS & CFR.

Attended the Caregiver Resource Fair.  Made 3 appointments and answered numerous questions from Vets and civilian agencies.

I started purging files of unnecessary documents to make more room in files drawers. 
Tony DeVore, NSO - VARO San Diego, CA:
This past week has been very busy with incoming phone calls and veterans stopping into the office.  Have been helping the NSO�s at the VAMC�s obtain the information they needed to enter veterans into VCMS or to enter Award�s & Rating Decisions into VCMS.
Have meet with a few veterans some submitting evidence in support of pending claim�s or NOD�s.  Now that SHARE has updated the Retro�s to reflect payments, I�ve been entering in my awards into VCMS.
Attended the SEP VSO Introduction meeting on 10/31/13.  It was very informative. Tried to log into the program a couple of times but the system continued to give errors.  I�m awaiting a call back from our local SEP expertise to contact me back regarding this matter.

Arthur Harris, NSO - VARO Oakland, CA:

Normal amount of phone calls to the office to include claims that are processed in VCMS.  Had three, appointments with veterans dealing with the veterans trying to get increases in there disability. 

Attended a satellite phone conference with VA San Francisco it was the quarterly meeting.   We discussed the new methods that they using to help veterans with Parkasins and the new CT scans that they have access to this included the introductions to the new members that they have at the San Francisco VA. 


Tennell Brady, NSO - VARO Los Angeles, CA:

Called potential candidates to confirm date of their interview for the vacant position of National Service Officer for the LARO, and the VAMC Sepulveda/Wadsworth for this organization.  Also participated in round table discussion with VA management concerning the current status on pending renovation of the LA Regional Office. 

During the week, this office conducted many interviews, responded to over 75 calls and submitted several claims to the VA.  Participated with the RFS in interviewing the potential candidates for the vacant NSO positions, and aided in the on-site Annual Evaluation and Site visit conducted by the RFS, for both myself and AA.   

Ron Quinata, NSO - Guam:

Received two award letters totaling $67,000.  Assisted a military personnel soon to retire as a result of TAPS
briefing at Navy Base, Guam.  Received award letter with IU.  Continued working with recurring claims, dependency and DICs including off-island clients from the Philippines and Pohnpei. 

Answered and returned calls and entered data into VCMS, updating folders, etc.

Jay Parker, NSO - VARO Phoenix:
We are busy every day with client traffic.  This causes some potential clients to leave rather than waiting.

I have been  going to the vet center, talking to vets and handing out business cards.  I did set up in the hospital and answered questions, handed out business cards.  General office duties, data entry.
Cheryl Paden, NSO - VAMC Tucson:
I found out this week that for some reason I no longer had VBMS.   I had to contact Jay to let him know he had me call IRM, they stated I would need to reapply, but Jay being the awesome person is getting it turned back on.   I tried to sign onto SEP but the code did not work but I just received the new access code and I will now sign on.

I have received messages about their claims pending and 1 called to check on his claim I filed in June and found out that VA has him listed as being dead since 8-18-2004, so I am working on getting that straightened out..

I reviewed decision Letters and entered all information into VCMS.  I gave paperwork/homework to Veterans so I can file FDC claims for them.   I filed requests for address and phone number changes, VCAA's.

I have been preparing packages to take to Coming home on November 9th.   I have also been asked to put another package for death benefits for a client that is in Stage 4 cancer.

I have reviewed decision letters, worked on filing and general office duties. 
Raphael Paris, NSO - VARO Honolulu:
Conducted several interviews with veterans getting ready to exit out of the service and/or already out of service, submitted claims to VA, both New claims and informal claims.  Informal  claims veteran is working on getting medical records will submit FDC at later date.

Helped a couple of veterans with annual clothing allowance form, informed veteran to take form to prosthetics office. Received VA correspondence letters an award letters for both Honolulu and Guam, mailed out letters to Guam.  Returned/received calls from veterans asking for status of claim, also spoke to veterans in reference to VA examinations.

Continue input into VCMS of awards, claims, etc.  General office duties, including making of new files,purging. Follow-up on pending claims.

Breana King, NSO - VAMC Loma Linda:

I saw several veterans, filed several new claims, new POAs, as well as submitting new evidence for pending claims.  Due to it being the end of the month, I worked on getting everything entered into VCMS and all mail sent out for the month.  I had 2 big Retro�s-$45,891 and $32,614.  Worked on filing and VCMS.  Awaiting return of medical records from one of my veterans to file POA and claim.

Continue with general office duties, telephone calls, etc.

Michael Mullen, NSO - VAMC La Jolla:

This was a pretty normal week of answering calls, returning messages, saw a lot of clients, submitted evidence, and entered some ratings.   Filed new POAs on veterans, while filing both new and increase S/C claims, and a few for pension.   I assisted several veterans in sending off for STR�s so we can decide if they have possible claim.  

Most of those veterans were computer illiterate and required my assistance to do it online.   Today I put in a work order with the ITT department, because my printer and fax stopped working due to some updates the VA made the other day with regards to installation of Windows 7.

 Erin Hamlin, NSO - Salt Lake City:

Out for my son�s IEP until 10:00am on 11/4/13 and out sick on 11/6/13.  I was at the Salt Lake City VA Stand Down on 11/1/2013.   I returned and made several phone calls.  Also, all of the Service Organizations have been informed that we are going to be moved to the first floor of the building, so I will be doubling my efforts to go through my office files and get them in order.  I had 11 BDD/PLCP Rating Decisions and no PLCP SOCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment