Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MOPH Region VI Weekly Reports 10/24-30/13

Commander Small and Jim Richards:

Please see weekly reports below, generated by Region VI NSOs, for the period:  10/24-30/2013:

San Diego VARO:
I am continuing my quest for MOPH space in Central CA somewhere between Fresno/Clovis area south to Bakersfield.
I am traveling to VARO Los Angeles next week to conduct interviews for two NSO positions open in VARO Los Angeles office and VAMC Sepulveda and Wadsworth office.
I will be traveling to Long Beach VAMC as well.   I will also  be conducting Site Visits and completing evaluations for current NSOs and AAs, at both locations.
I continue to do sign offs daily and continue training of new NSO and AA in VARO SD location. I have followed-up on the NODs and appeals, as well as responding to phone calls, emails, claim review, etc.
I continue to monitor and review VCMS reports, claims, POAs etc. 
Eddie Kimes, NSO - Las Vegas:
Started last week on medical leave up until Tuesday 10/29.  Veteran who had an appointment came in an hour early from Utah to file service connected claim and new POA.  I checked all the phone messages that accumulated during time off.  Made phone calls and made appointments for future claims.  Checked VCMS for updates (tickle dates) of claim status and found that one veteran had been awarded for Aid and Attendance, but needs a fiduciary, thus no money awarded at this time.  The same veteran came into office in the afternoon as a walk-in and I explained to him and spouse how the VA payee system works in addition to other benefits that he�s eligible for in relationship to his award.  Sent claim forms to veteran who lives in Bullhead City, AZ.  Sent direct deposit form to another vet.
Visited Vet Center and collected service connected claim for increase for submittal to VA.  I spoke with veteran in person who desired benefits information and also spoke with veteran by phone concerning information.  I returned back to my office in the afternoon and submitted completed claim documents.

Joseph Phillips, NSO - VAMC Long Beach, CA:
I spoke with a Veterans widow about A&A.  She said it is difficult for her to travel, she is 82 years old.  I advised her that before I filed the claim I would have to see her in person but for now we can work using e-mail, mail and the phone.  I sent her an e-mail explaining the information I would need and made an appointment for a phone interview next week.  Once I have completed all the forms she will come in to sign them and I will submit the claim. 
I spoke with another veteran regarding his waiver.  He believes that there should be a decision by now.  I advised him for the umpteenth time that I have no way of determining how long his claim will take.
My phone calls have died down somewhat.  Veterans continue to complain about wait times in our waiting room.  That is the main reason why I do appointments.  The veterans that I represent rarely have to wait and if they come in early I will see them if possible.
November is National Family Caregiver Month.  Social work services sponsors a Care Giver Resource Fair to be held on November 6th.  The MOPH logo is on the flyer and I will be present for the event.
Tony DeVore, NSO - VARO San Diego, CA:
This week I have met with several clients to discuss their pending claims, also met and discussed with some veterans about filing future claims once evidence has been collected.  Entered in Awards received by the VA.  Attended the TDIU Webinar that was held on Thursday 10/24/13.   I have been training the new AA in VCMS how to enter clients, claims and awards.   I continue to complete and input diary notes from our purged client office files, answer and return telephone calls and follow-up on all emails and research regarding claims. 
Arthur Harris, NSO - VARO Oakland, CA:
This week the office has received the normal amount of phone calls.  There have been 4 veterans that have come in for appointments in regards to their claims.  We have updated VCMS reconciliation reports and monthly reports for the month. There was a major protest that took place that effected to VA�s ability to perform sending some persons home early.
Tennell Brady, NSO - VARO Los Angeles, CA:
Conducted general office duties including meeting with veterans, updating files and responding to telephone inquires.  Attended the monthly VSO meeting with VA management.  Of note, 600 brokered cases are now in VBMS.  250 to 300 ready to rate cases brokered to Detroit RO ICP.  Also noted were non-rating issues
Conducted an onsite inspection of Sepulveda office this morning, per RFS�s request. The office was in order.  Afternoon spent updating files.
2 POA�s pending medical evidence is returned at a later day, benefit questions, adding additional evidence, claim update. Assisted a PH recipient with updating his DD-214, and met with a Vet requesting the PH be his advocate but he has to wait until his pending claim is closed. Women�s Veteran�s Rep was looking for a female VSO and asked if Purple Heart would join them for their monthly meetings here at the Medical Center and assisting any female Vets with benefit claims and questions. Once I get all the information and run it pass RFS I would let them know if I will attend.
Ron Quinata, NSO - Guam:
Received CC copies of on-going claims(9), one appeal and 5 decision letters with 1 approved DIC, significantly approved within 21 days(Date submitted, Sep 4, 2013, Approval Decision Ltr dated, Sep 25, 2013). Beats my two previous ones within 30 days.  As a follow-up with veteran out of Pohnpei Island, prepared response(4138) with DBQ on PTSD for Psychologist and forwarded via email.  Received another veteran's request for assistance recently discharged Sept 2013 who is currently establishing residency in the Philippines.  Established dialogue via email to assist him in establishing a FDC.   Continued working/preparing revocation notification letters for veterans(never seen them) who continue to seek other assistance elsewhere.  Continued with office duties, did necessary
telephone follow-ups with veterans reference to letters received especially on 5103s (VCAA Notice Response).
Jay Parker, NSO - VARO Phoenix:
I along with two other organizations met with the Phoenix VAMC Director to discuss C&P Audio exams.  As expected we didn�t get much out of it.  But we feel if we keep knocking on the door, we will eventually get satisfaction.  While there we also discussed the difficulty veterans are having getting their VA ID cards.  This is important because the PTSD clinic for example will not see you without the card.
Atended VA/NSO meeting.  There were coaches from four departments updating us on changes in their area.  The change agent updated issues pertaining to SEP and VBMS.  Also attended the SEP by Ron Abrams via telephone.
We of course have been busy with end of month issue�s from veterans such as are we getting paid on the first.
We picked up six new clients this week because DAV is changing to appointment only.  I made my regular visit to the vet center.  This week I discussed the importance of a paper trail, and of course general office duties and one client received a retro of $30,650.
Cheryl Paden, NSO - VAMC Tucson:
I had trouble this week, SAVAHCS is having work on the cable lines, so I could sign onto VCMS and Cox but I could sign onto citrix but could not sign onto Outlook, MapD, Share or Virtual VA.  I had to contact Lisa or Jay to ask any questions for my Veterans.   I tried to sign onto SEP but the code did not work so I had to reapply, but phoned in for the conference.

I have received messages about their claims pending and 1 to find out what we need to do now because he is not able to work and needs to get to 100%.  I received a call from a client, who received 0 to 100% in 5 months with FDC, he was extremely happy.  I reviewed various decision letters and entered all information into VCMS.

I gave paperwork/homework to Veterans so I can file FDC claims for them.  I filed new claims, VCAA's, requests for C file with STR and military medical records.

I have been preparing packages to take to Coming home on November 9th.   I have also been asked to put a package for death benefits for a client that is in stage 4 cancer.

I have reviewed decision letters, worked on filing and general office duties.
Raphael Paris, NSO - VARO Honolulu:
Conducted several interviews with veterans getting ready to exit out of the service and/or already out of service, submitted claims to VA, both New claims and informal claims.  Informal  claims veteran is working on getting medical records will submit FDC at later date.  Responded to several telephone calls and e-mails re status of claims.  Also replied back via e-mail to veteran service liaison for Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, reference requesting attendance of past Purple Heart recipients to Purple Heart ceremony for SFC. Takumi Abe, gave veteran service liaison Thomas Tanaka phone number, also contacted Thomas Tanaka with information.
Met with veteran who is exiting out the service and will be on terminal leave until January 2014, gave veteran Oakland NSO point of contact info also e-mailed Arthur Harris and informed him about veteran.  Received retro payment in the amount of $37,931 for one of  the veterans.
Met with veteran who lives on the big island of Hawaii, he was here for counseling for prostate cancer associated with agent orange exposure, he has a claim pending for this condition.  Helped a veteran with annual clothing allowance form, informed veteran to take form to prosthetics office.  Received VA correspondence letters an award letters for both Honolulu and Guam, mailed out letters to Guam.  Continue input into VCMS of awards, claims, etc.,  general office duties, including making of new files, purging.  Follow-up on pending claims.
Breana King, NSO - VAMC Loma Linda:
Returned phone calls,met with Vets to get claim updates. continued filing, making of new folders, getting my mail out, phone calls, filing, etc.
I signed 6 new POA�s and I saw 19 vets for submitting additional evidence, claim update etc.  I also met with a Vet to begin a new claim, pending his PTSD referral before submitting claim.  2 of the POA�s have pending medical evidence which will be  returned at a later day.  Responded to benefit questions, adding additional evidence, claim update.   Assisted a PH recipient with updating his DD-214, and met with a Vet requesting the PH be his advocate, but he has to wait until his pending appeal is closed.
Due to car accident Monday, on my way home from work, I was out of the office on Tuesday (10/29/13).
Michael Mullen, NSO - VAMC La Jolla:
For the most part, this was a normal week of answering calls, returning messages, saw a lot of clients, did preliminary work with some veterans to file in the near future, filed claims, submitted evidence, and entered some ratings.   I took POA of 5 new veterans, while filing both new and increase S/C claims, and a few for pension.   I also did some research and review of a veterans original claims, in which I�m preparing to file a CUE claim.   Other than that, I completed unpacking and now have my new office in fully functioning order.
Erin Hamlin, NSO - Salt Lake City:
Out sick 10/28/2013
Attended 1 BVA Hearing, and 1 RVSR Hearing, where the RVSR has already informed us that she is going to rule in our favor.  I returned and made several phone calls.  Also, now that the shutdown has finished, things have picked up with the promulgation of Rating Decision and several that were still pending were finally closed out.  I had two new POA�s, 15 BDD/PLCP Rating Decisions and no PLCP SOCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment